1 tablespoon cooking oil for stir frying
2 cloves garlic finely minced
1 stalk green onion minced
8 fresh shiitake mushroom caps or Chinese dried mushroom caps very thinly julienned
3 cups cabbage shredded (about 1/2 small cabbage)
1/2 cup julienned carrots (about 2 med carrots)
1 cup fresh bean sprouts
1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon cornstarch
50 spring roll wrappers defrosted
1. Preheat your oven to 400F (200C). Line a large baking sheet with a wire rack.
2. In a large saute pan or wok, swirl in 1 tablespoon of the cooking oil. Turn on the heat to medium-high and immediately add garlic, ginger and green onion, stirring frequently. Add add the mushrooms, cabbage, carrots.
3. Turn heat to high and stir-fry the vegetables for about 2 minutes. and then toss in the bean sprouts. Add in the soy sauce and sesame oil. Cook for another minute. Then spread the filling out onto a large baking sheet. Prop the baking sheet up on one side to allow any juices to accumulate at the bottom. (and discard to juices)
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and 1/4 cup of cool water to form a slurry.
5. Place a wonton or spring roll wrapper on a flat surface, add 1 tablespoon of the vegetable mixture into a corner of the wrapper, and then roll the edge of the wrapper tightly around the mixture. Fold the two side corners towards the middle of the wrapper while continuing to roll up. Paint the top edge with the cornstarch slurry mixture and wrap tightly the rest of the way. Make sure all edges are tightly sealed. Place seam side down. Cover with plastic wrap to avoid drying out.
6. Bake about 25 minutes until golden around the edges.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Join our newsletter
Sign up to receive special discounts, tips and recipes!