Vegan Mapo Tofu (Quick + Easy)
One box silken tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
8 oz shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 3 small dried hot red peppers (diced)
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp fermented spicy bean paste (doubanjiang)
- 1 teaspoon finely ground sichuan peppercorn
- 2 spring onions, white parts only, chopped
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- Dissolve corn starch in 3 tablespoons cold water
- Remove stems from mushrooms. Make a light mushroom broth by simmering stems in 2 cups water for 10 minutes, then strain and reserve broth. Dice mushroom caps and set aside.
Put oil in a wok or wide skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, green onions, garlic, Sichuan peppercorns, red peppers. Sauté until aromatic, about 1 minute.
- Add chili bean paste, soy sauce, mushroom broth, and tofu cook until heated through, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Add corn starch water, stir until thick.
- Transfer cooked tofu to a serving dish, top with chopped peanuts.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.